‘It’s a disaster’: Three-year-old girl dies after kitchen water leak

The mother of a three-year old girl who died after drinking water contaminated by a kitchen water filter says she was ‘shocked’ and ‘shattered’ by the accident.

The toddler died on Sunday after the family’s washing machine failed and she began suffocating in the family fridge.

The woman, who cannot be named for legal reasons, told the ABC that her daughter had been drinking the family tap water for the past two days.

“The kitchen was dirty, the tap water was dirty,” she said.

“It was a disaster.”

The woman said she had no idea the water was contaminated, but she was surprised to learn that she was being exposed to it.

“I was shocked, I was shattered,” she told ABC Radio Melbourne.

“We were not expecting anything like this.”

She was a happy, healthy little girl.

“Topics:health,environmental-impact,water-safety,health-administration,hygiene,melbourne-3000,vic,vicnews-centre,vicsource Al Jazeera.com